Wednesday, May 14, 2008

THE TITANIC TRACT

Introduction

The journey we make in our life from birth to death can be compared to the journey in a ship from one destination to another. Let us expound some truths from this catastrophe.

The Titanic was the biggest ship ever built during 1912. The 882 ft long ship roughly equals the size of the Tower Bridge. Total cost of Titanic was $7.5 million. It had 16 watertight compartments, which were designed to close automatically, if flooded. Shipbuilder magazine quoted that The Titanic was ‘practically unsinkable’, though it was made from 46,000 tonnes of steel.

The Titanic was described as a ‘Luxury hotel at sea’. The ship contained a swimming pool, gymnasium, squash court and library. They stored 40,000 eggs, 1,500 gallons of milk, 110,000 lbs of meat and stacks of beverages (20,000 Beer bottles and 1,500 Wine bottles).

“We place absolute confidence in the Titanic. We believe the boat is unsinkable”
- Titanic's President Franklin.

“Not even God himself could sink this ship”
- A deckhand on Titanic.

“I cannot conceive any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern ship building has gone beyond that.”
- Edward John Smith, Titanic Captain

The cascade of events:

10th April 1912 – Titanic left Southampton on its maiden voyage to New York.
11th April 1912 – Reached Ireland and restarted.
12th/13thApril 1912 – Smooth sailing on the sea.
14th April 1912 – 18:00 – Passengers had their supper, which was the last one for many on board.
19:00 – Several warning reports about icebergs from nearby ships (The Californian / Carpathian).
20:00 – All the warning messages were ignored.
22:50 – The Californian ship sent the last message.
23:00 – This warning message was also ignored.
23:15 – The wireless operator from The Californian switched off the radio & shutdown communication.
23:39 – The crew spotted an iceberg very close with less than 1 minute to respond.
23:40 – Titanic turned to the left, but collided with the iceberg.
15th April 1912
00:00 – Six watertight compartments were flooded.
00:05 – Distress signal “CQD” was sent to other nearby ships and distress rockets fired.
00:45 – Lifeboats launched, but not filled up to the maximum capacity.
01:30 – The titanic music band (Wallace Hartley & team) played the song 'Nearer my God to thee'. The band continued playing music till the end.
02:18 – Titanic broke into two pieces and the bow sank first.
02:20 – The ‘unsinkable’ Titanic sank after 2 hours and 40 minutes of ordeal. About 1,500 passengers lost their lives.
04:30 – The nearby ship, Carpathian rescued about 700 passengers from the lifeboats.

Luxury Vs Lifeboats

The Titanic carried about 2,200 passengers, but only 20 lifeboats. Ideally, the Titanic should have carried at least 34 lifeboats to save all the lives of people on board. In essence, The Titanic was loaded with all the luxury items, but it failed to carry adequate number of lifeboats.

Life as a ‘sinking’ Titanic


The life we live in this world can be compared to the story of the Titanic. Our body is a vessel designed as a ship carrying inside a soul and a spirit. Indeed ‘our mortal body’ can be a representation of the ‘sinking Titanic ship’.

If we could count our heartbeats, it would be between 60-90 beats per minute. Our heart has to beat about 100,000 times and pump 7,200 litres of blood in order to live one day on planet earth.

On an average, our human body is designed to live for about 70-80 years and then to die. Also Death can occur to anyone at anytime (e.g., accidents / diseases– heart attack / stroke) but it could be slow and gradual (e.g., cancer / dementia).

The truth is that everyone born in this world will die at some time. So, are we prepared to meet death at any time of our life? Fear of death can be annulled as long as we know where we are going after death.

My dear friend, this materialistic world represents the ‘Sinking Titanic’. What would be beneficial, if a man owns the whole world, yet he loses his life? The ‘Unsinkable Lifeboat’ may seem to be insignificant, but it is the one that saved lives.

In this world, Jesus Christ is that Unsinkable Lifeboat who saves lives eternally. He loves us and died on the cross for our sins. He promises us eternal life after death. Jesus said, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies” (John 11:25).

Are you willing to get into the lifeboat? It’s your free choice.

Dear Lord Jesus,
I believe you are the Son of God. You died on the cross for my sins. I believe you rose from the dead on the third day and you are seated at the right hand of our Father in heaven. I confess all my sins. Please forgive me. Cleanse me with your precious blood. I proclaim that I am a new creation in Christ from now on. I say this prayer in Jesus name. Amen.
Welcome to the Kingdom of God! Right now, there will be thousands of angels rejoicing over your salvation in heaven, as you have been saved just now. Today, buy a Bible and read Mathew chapters 5, 6 & 7 that gives the principles to follow in our lives. Continue to read, pray and attend a church that belongs to Jesus Christ. God bless you! Amen!


"Nearer, my God, to Thee"Nearer, my God, to thee, nearer to thee!


E'en though it be a cross that raiseth me,
still all my song shall be,
Nearer, my God, to thee,
nearer to thee!
Though like the wanderer, the sun gone down,
darkness be over me, my rest a stone.
Yet in my dreams I'd be nearer, my God to thee.
There let the way appear, steps unto heaven;
all that thou sendest me, in mercy given;
angels to beckon me nearer, my God, to thee.
Then, with my waking thoughts bright with thy praise,
out of my stony griefs Bethel I'll raise;
so by my woes to be nearer, my God, to thee.
Or, if on joyful wing cleaving the sky,
sun, moon, and stars forgot, upward I'll fly,
still all my song shall be, nearer, my God, to thee.
There in my Father's home, safe and at rest,
there in my Saviour's love, perfectly blest;
age after age to be, nearer my God to thee.

Words: Sarah Adams, 1841

No comments: