Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Tragedy to Triumph!

Tragedy to Triumph!

Today I attended the Bristol Men’s Conference with our church members.

There were two speakers (and 4sermons) and the topic was on passion for Christ. After each sermon the audience can send questions and out of them 3 will be read and answered.

The first sermon was on the love of God and keeping the commandments. So I wrote a question and sent, but it was not read/ discussed.

In the afternoon session, after asermon on the topic “Tragedy to Triumph” – Rev. Andy Paterson narrated three incidences of Acts 18 è

(a) how Aquila & Priscilla were thrown out of Rome (Tragedy) and they werea blessed in Corinth (Triumph)

(b) while Paul was preaching in Corinth, Jews opposed/ abused him (Tragedy); so he came out – but the Synagogue leader, Crispus and his entire household believed and baptised (Triumph)

( c) v12 – Jews bought Paul to court (Tragedy) – but the judge (Gallio) dismissed the case (Triumph). He also narrated a story when a young boy of 6 was told that hisfather had a tragedy. He was then explained that he died and gone to be with Jesus. The boy replied if he has gone to be with Jesus, why do you call it atragedy, it’s a blessing. It was a moving message!

I initially thought I shouldn’tsend the question (as my previous question was not read). But suddenly Ithought ………no, I shouldn’t get dejected but pursue it. Also not many people were enthusiastic about writing thequestion. Within a flash of a second, I took a paper and wrote the same questionbut in one sentence. It reads like this: “How to love God when tragedy strikes?” I gave it to the usher. The first question was about something else. He answered. Then the second question was read to Rev. Andy Paterson: How to loveGod when tragedy strikes? He started to speak………two syllables came out of hismouth and then he stopped. He was silent for a minute. The whole stadium was silent. Tears rolled down his cheeks. After the silence he spoke: “My father was a church minister. He served God all his life. He was suddenly diagnosed with cancer………I think I have known God much more better than before my father fell sick………I ‘m more closer to Jesus than before………….” He couldn’t continue. The other pastor prayed for him.

Later, I ran and caught up with him. I told him Iwas the one to ask the question. I narrated my current situation. I told him that even though I love Jesus and I know that whatever happens in my life is a blessing from God and I don’t hate him………..but it is a great effort before I could do very little morning devotion. I could no longer listen to sermons. I have no longer seem to have a deep searching for God. He looked at me with tears in his eyes and said when he was going thru the trouble, he was feeling the same……..then he started reading Psalms and found out how the Everlasting arm was around him………I then asked him "Sometimes Iwonder if I might lose my salvation……………" He replied that the very fact that I have this fear shows that I do love Him……….just don’t worry about daily devotion………don’t feel guilty if I didn’t do it daily………..when you pray you pour out your heart to him; tell Jesus exactly how you feel………..and this will be your daily devotion………….!" Wow! Praise God for the comfort through a person who had already undergone the pain.

No comments: